Saturday, February 4, 2012

What is the English translation of the Latin phrase: "Vir bonus semper discipulus est"?

This is the motto of a book publisher I deal with, but I get nonsensical translations when using a couple of Latin translator websites. Thanks.|||"A good man is always learning".|||A good man is always a student.|||A good man is always apt to learn.|||Im a freshman in high school and im taking my first year of latin and i dont know how familiar you are with the language, so im going to verbum ab verbum it for you ( word for word)





Nota Bene-(good note)- all Latin V's have the sound of an English "w"





Vir=Man, Husband, Hero


Bonus=good


Semper=always, continually


Discipulus=pupil, student


est=is





Literal Translation=





A good student is always a good man.








I got all this from prior knowledge...its very basic Latin...i have a 100 A+ in the class and i have my Latin 1 book in my lap as im typing this.....so this is as far as it gets to the actaull meaning.|||"A good man is a student forever"

No comments:

Post a Comment