Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Can someone translate the phrase "Look at me" into Latin?

I've been trying to figure this out myself by googling a bunch of online latin translators and using online latin dictionaries. The best I've come up with is "Aspicio mihi". Does anyone know whether or not this is right? If not, what is "Look at me" in Latin?





Thanks|||Perhaps:



me specta (singular)

me spectate (plural)



me = me (accusative of ego, I)

specta = look at (second-person singular present imperative active of specto, I look at)

spectate = look at (second-person plural present imperative active of specto, I look at)



In support of "me specta", the Roman poet Ovid wrote in his "Amores": "me specta nutusque meos vultumque loquacem", meaning "look at me and my nods and my expressive face". See:

http://www.hollidays.pwp.blueyonder.co.u鈥?/a>



Done with a basic knowledge of Latin, not with Google Translate, which is unreliable when used with an inflected language such as Latin.|||Mihi means to me. I can't remember the command endings of verbs but I believe it would be Specta or something like that. The ending -o on your word aspicio means I. Like Porto means " I carry" so what you have is something like "I look to me" which doesn't make much sense.|||Specta(te) me! = Look at me!


Vide(te) me! = See me!





(plural)|||I got 'Adtendite me'

No comments:

Post a Comment