Saturday, February 11, 2012

Need help with English to Latin?

I'm writing a book and I decided to use a little Latin in it, only now, I realize that an online English to Latin translator might not be too reliable.


I need outcast, exile, or other words with the same meaning translated to Latin.


Please help. I will select a best answer.


Oh, and if you know, what does eventus mean(Latin to English)? I will still select best answer even if you don't answer that question.|||Exile or outcast = Exsul That word is a common noun - both masculine and feminine.





Exilium in the singular actually means 'exile; banishment', - the act, not the person. In its plural (exilia) it was used for 'exiles'.








Eventus = event, outcome, occurrence, result. Note that in Latin the word is geared to what actually happened at the end, not to what went on to get there like we use the word in English.


|||exil





event|||Eventus basically means consequences.





As for outcast or exile ... expuli means to cast out or banish. It's the derivative of expulsion.|||In Latin 'exile' translates either "exilium" or exsilium"


http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wor鈥?/a>


Previous answerer "expuli" it's wrong since it actually means 'I expelled, I banished'.





As to "eventus" it means : outcome, result, success; event, occurrence; chance, fate, accident;


http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wor鈥?/a>|||But exilium means exile in the sense of the action. I think exile in the sense of a person who is exiled is exsul.





As said eventus pretty much just means event. It means something that has happened.





If you don't mind me asking, what is your book about and why do you want Latin for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment