Saturday, February 4, 2012

What is the latin for 'my father is with me'?

I am looking at getting a new tattoo and just want to clarify the correct meaning. I want 'my father is with me' in latin but i know there can be several meanings for certain words in latin. i've been on an online latin translator and it said it is:





meus abbas est me





if someone could clarify for me i'd be very greatful





thanks





steve|||Pater mecum





The 'my' and the 'is' are not needed. If someone else's father was with you, a possessive would be needed; otherwise, it's assumed to be your father. If there is no verb, the verb is assumed to be a form ot 'to be.'





With the preposition 'cvm,' the pronouns come before the preposition and the two are written as one word - mecum = with me; tecum = with you.





Don't trust an online translator. They mangle Latin. What you got was the word for 'father' in the religious sense (English word 'abbot' comes from it) and the rest was mangled.|||I personally don't know Latin, but if you enter in the italian section of yahoo answers, you shoud receive many answers because in many italian high school students study Latin and know it very well. Latin is considered one of the most important subjects in scientific and humanistic italian high schools.


Go on Italian Yahoo Answers and ask it.|||online latin translators are very bad^_^ Here's the correct translation: (I assume you want the man version?):


meus pater est *** me





Hope this helps much^_^


PS why does yahoo asterisk my latin word c*u*m??? It is a latin word and it means with!!!! the asterisked word is: first letter-c, second letter-u, and third letter-m. GRRR|||Pater meus mecum est.





[Yahoo censored "c u m" (with) in the first answer; but that word order is unnatural]

No comments:

Post a Comment