Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Are the spells from Harry Potter real latin?

I am just asking because I found many different latin translators on the web, and couldn't find any of the words she used for spells. For example, I looked up "light" expecting to find lumos, but instead I found lumen or lux. Did she twist some of the latin around to make it her own, or do I just need to look harder? It is really bothering me. Thanks guys. (by the way, I know absolutely nothing about latin, so if this question looks really stupid, that's why)|||Some of them are derived from latin. And yes, it is real latin but some are changed slightly to sound more like a spell.


For Example, Expecto Patronum in latin means I await a protecter.


Its pretty awesome.|||She often combines two Latin words into one, in a way she makes her own words. Sometimes she uses other languages as well.





Draco is Latin for dragon and the root of his last name "Mal foi" is French for "Bad Faith".|||She got them from latin but changed them to make them sound good.

No comments:

Post a Comment