Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Latin help: What does "Cave Morturum Sum!" mean?

I've used online Latin translators but I can't put the words together. Any one know how to properly translate this?|||Beware I am about to die








Edit: The future participle is actually spelled moraturus for a male speaker, or moratura for a female - note that there is an "a" in the word|||You didn't say how it was used and that plays a big part in translation. The words themselves are easy. Cave = Hollow place or cave. Morturum = dead, Sum is the addition to the verb and means "to be". Death is a hollow place? It really depends on the circumstances in which it is used.|||"Cave" means "Beware!" or "Danger!"





"Sum" is "I am"





Morturum isn't quite Latin, though it is close.





Cave Moriturus Sum





Beware, I am about to die!





Is probably the original Latin, and its translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment