Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WITHOUT using an online translator..the translation of the following from English to Latin?

"Lord forgive me, for I have sinned"|||You don't need the nimis (too much, excessively). It's not always used in the traditional formulas, though it's used in the most recent version of the standard Catholic Confiteor. Literally, "Domine, absolve me, quia peccavi." You definitely shouldn't leave out the "me".





Edit: Care to enlighten me as to how it's wrong, or do you just mean "wrong" in the sense of "different from what you said"? You're close, but just saying "absolve" means "forgive" without saying who should be forgiven. As far as the nimis goes, just look at the link. I don't know why the nimis was inserted later, but there's probably a whole stack of dissertations written somewhere about how pinpoint-dancing angels distinguish between sinning and sinning too much.|||The phrase you want is:





Domine absolve, quia peccavi nimis.





This is not a literal translation, a literal translation would not mean what you want to say.





....





Lastuntakenscreenname has given you a very good answer - apart from its being wrong, that is.|||Lastunta is absolutely right. I'd give him Best Answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment