Saturday, February 11, 2012

What is the difference between these Latin words for "Father"?

I used a free online translator to look up the latin word for "father." It came back with six words--abbas, sator, abbatis, pater, patris, and gigno.





I know that pater is basically father and patris is more like "of the father" but beyond that I'm stumped.





Can anyone explain the basic difference between these words? Also, was there any Latin word that was an informal version of "father?" Perhaps a word that meant closer to our English "dad" or "daddy?"|||Of those, only pater - none of the others was ever in general use to mean father in the literal sense. "Abbas" is an Aramaic term that was used in Christian religious contexts. . "gigno" is the verb "to father" like in "he fathered the child." "Sator" is basically "sower" (i.e. inseminater), not exactly a term of endearment. "Papa" is the only one I'm aware of, and I don't know if it was in use classically or not. (It did for sure exist in the time of the late Empire though).|||about the difference i don麓t know





i call my dad "PAPI" it麓s like daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment